Friday, December 2, 2011

Antiques of the digital age

I came across this yesterday at one of my schools and it raised a question for me...


Are flash drives a technology tool we've outgrown?  This one is 256MB, btw...I don't think they make these anymore.

The question really pertains to "cloud" computing and the ability to store data (documents, pictures, etc...), just as data, on the web...in the "cloud" so to speak, and have them all in one location, a matter of backup.

On Tuesday, I downloaded the free app, Box.net, on my IPad and included with that is a deal to get 50GB of online storage for life.  Being a huge fan of online storage, I jumped at the chance.  I also recommend it for everyone else...the deal ends soon.  Another good site is 4Shared...around 15GB for free.

I use cloud storage for a number of reasons:

  • I tend to take my IPad everywhere and hate carrying my laptop (with plug and mouse) due to size, apparently 6 pounds is too heavy.  It is no longer convenient.  I can access all my files (and view them) on my IPad, IPod Touch or phone (currently a junky Blackberry).  PLUS, the IPad doesn't do USB very easily.
  • I can access online storage from pretty much anywhere...via WiFi or 4G wireless.
  • I have a tendency to a) run over flash drives, b) not have them when I need them, or c)not have my computer when I need to view a file on a flash drive.
  • FREE=GOOD
  • Secure, convenient and little chance of losing my files, unlike my twisted desire to run over my own flash drives.
  • As part of the social media pantheon of tools, you can actually SHARE your files with others at your own discretion....either professionally or personally.

As of right now, I uploaded 250 files on Box and used 1GB of space.  Just storage.  Check it out.


  • 1976--5.25" Floppy Disks--1.2 MB (Dual sided)
  • 1981--3.5" Floppy Disks--1.44 MB of storage
  • 1984--Compact Disks--about 650MB
  • 1994--ZipDisks and Drives--100 MB of storage
  • 1995--DVDs--about 4.7 GB
  • 1997--Memory Cards--various
  • 2003--Blue Ray--25 or 50GB
  • What's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment