Monday, June 11, 2012

Did I Just Say That?

I am going to say something controversial, apocalyptic and it might upset people.

I don't like iPhones.

(I am waiting for lightning to strike or a fissure to open beneath my desk, hang on...)

I said it.  I don't like iPhones.  I appreciate everything that Apple, iPhones and Steve Jobs has done for computational design and the tech market, but I still don't like iPhones.

My colleagues, when I tell them of this dislike, say "but you're an Apple guy."  Right.  I love the iPad and I am trying to get a MacBook by hook or by crook, but still don't like the iPhone.  I am not trying to dissuade you from purchasing one or enjoying the one you might have, because they are really nice devices.  My wife has a 4 (pre-Siri) and it works nicely.  The mockup of the iPhone 5 looks slick as well.  So what's my deal?

Meet my new best friend



The Droid Razr Maxx (enter O Fortuna from Carmina Barana or the Exorcist, I guess).  Please play while reading the next part...impressive.

Yes, the MAXX. 

The "WOW" of the Maxx:

  • Reception is the best I have ever heard...specially considering my office is in the basement (read that no windows) of the Polk Library.
  • Droid operating system is incredible...Google developed...Upgrade to ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) operating system (end of June) will make this so much sweeter.
  • Battery life is longer than I know.  I have used it for two whole days as a "heavy" user trial and got down to 30%.  I haven't been under that yet.
  • Super AMOLed OLED screen...greater colors, faster (not choppy) playbacks and no backlight required which uses less power.  This is HD viewing...on a phone.
  • Camera and video camera are awesome.
  • Expandable memory through microSD card
  • More, so very much more...
I am slowly approaching the point where I use my phone for computing more than my iPad. 

As a note, stay away from the Droid Razr.  Dealers will try to sell you one, but with so many high resolution graphics, 4G access, etc...the battery life of a normal user is about 4 hours.  They will also include a battery backup, but seriously, do you want to make calls with this plugged to your phone? 


I have seen it done.

If you love your iPhone...awesome.  The point with all of this Razr-love I have going on is to test out other, even non-Apple, products occasionally.  You will be surprised what you find.





No comments:

Post a Comment