Thursday, December 13, 2012

Google Play (Google Tip of the Week)

We all know how cool the Apple App Store is by this point.  Easy to use, easy to search,...and for the most part, the good apps are either free or $0.99.

Google recently (last summer-ish) relaunched its app store in the form of Google Play.  With roughly 45% of smartphone users owning an android phone (iPhones are around 27%) and with android tablets making a dent in tablet market, Google finally decided to invest its considerable talents and resources in designing a user-friendly store.


https://play.google.com/store?utm_source=HA_Desktop_US&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=gplaunch


Same apps, different format.  Nice experience.  Movies, books, music, apps and more.

I just recently bought my son a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7 inch) for his birthday.  He will be 9.  As much as I love my iPad and use it as my main means of media consumption, I bought the Samsung for my son for a number of reasons:

  • Price...$179 vs $329 for the iPad mini...great deal for a tablet.
  • Customization...Android devices are much less restricted by software and "whatever" Apple is selling.
  • Expandable memory
  • File formats...much easier to watch, read, enjoy multiple formats for books, videos and documents
  • Apps...Google Play and the Apple Store have the same number of apps available
  • Challenge...for my tech-savvy soon-to-be 9 year old, I love the challenge that android devices provides.  He might not excel at reading, but he overachieves in technology.




Check out the Google Play store. 




No comments:

Post a Comment