Thursday, January 17, 2013

New Thoughts on Assessment

Thought I would share this video...




Gee's arguments are truly profound, but profoundly sensible.  If you have read any of my previous posts, you will understand when I say that we need students to think, create, problem-solve and fail-to-succeed.  These are the basic tenets of gaming environments.


Think about something as simple as Where's My Water?  It might have a simple premise and a cute alligator, but the problem solving involved in moving to the next level is not easy to assess on a standard test.  But it is high-level thinking, nonetheless.


I often use my own kids as examples of technology use in all its forms.  I like to see them struggle, face challenges, figure things out for themselves and succeed.  In the case of games, success means getting to the next level.  Highly intrinsic motivation.  Highly individualized competition.  Built-in assessment.

So my suggestion is this:

Grab technology, find (create) a great game, give some objectives and get out of the way!

AND...educational games are just as addicting and "non-educational" games.




No comments:

Post a Comment