Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Summarizing Strategies

This girl understands summarizing.






Seriously never need to watch Star Wars (again).  She's got it.

I bring this up because I have been working with my own kids lately on reading strategies to improve how they read as well as what they comprehend.  I love reading and I want them to be as freakishly avid readers as I am.

But to do this, I had to revisit the "How" in reading.  Like all "experts", we forget the fundamentals when we get really good at something.  [Tangent...can't wait to see what happens when my kids learn to drive.]

Summarizing is a great strategy to encourage kids to remember what they read, watch, listen to, or see online.  It also gives them a great VOICE...a chance to talk, inform, be the teacher, and be the center of attention.  Take a couple of minutes to have them summarize the story, talk over their favorite parts, tell you what was important or just comment on what they read.

In my 24/7/365 all-sports household, patience pays dividends.

My favorite: "Text message" summary...140 characters or less.  Kik Messenger is a great tool.




No comments:

Post a Comment