Monday, November 26, 2012

3rd Down Conversions

My colleagues at CESA 6, even the Boss, knows of my intense dislike for paper.  I don't like receiving paper anything and prefer digital copies of notes, handouts, presentations.  I find it much easier to add notes of my own, keep track of calendar items and work remotely.  Being a remote employee, I also don't like having to carry packets of materials everywhere I go.  My thought is that I need to carry suitcases on vacations, not when I go to work.


Simple solution:  Get documents in PDF format and convert them to Google Docs

  • Worksheets
  • Forms
  • Manuals
  • Books
  • Handouts
  • Agendas

Google Drive makes it easy and relatively reliable (keeps its formatting) to convert PDFs to Google Documents.

  1. Upload a pdf to Google Drive
  2. Click the check box next to the PDF once it is uploaded
  3. Click on "More"
  4. Click on "Export to Google Docs"
  5. Once the file is converted, you will have the original PDF and a Google Doc (square blue icon with 3 white lines).  You can edit the Google Doc version.



Possibilities:
  • Adapt company or colleague's worksheets or forms to your classroom needs
  • Convert a book or manual and add your own comments or highlight important sections
  • Add links to other online resources within the text to make a structured "webquest"
  • Convert it to an editable online assignment to share with your students...SAVE PAPER!
  • Use your converted document to take notes during meetings from ANY device
  • Others...
The beauty of this trick is that once in Google Drive, you have access ANYWHERE you go.



Google Commercial of the Day:





No comments:

Post a Comment