Monday, February 25, 2013

If Google Can't Find It...

I love this commercial.




For some odd reason, it speaks to me.

It speaks to me particularly because we are at a crossroads in our information revolution (perhaps education evolution, as well).  It speaks to me because it accurately reflects what we are becoming as information consumers.  It also speaks to me because of the blind faith (myself included) we place in our devices and gadgets (and Internet).

As a test, have your students or kids do a search on Google.  A search for anything.  If it's not on Google, it must not exist, right?

I can almost guarantee that the search terms used might be the exact question you just asked.  This is not a bad place to start, necessarily, but is it optimal?  Are we enticing our students to actually think about what type of results/information they are getting?  What types they need to get?  How to use that information persuasively and accurately?

In other words, are we pushing students to evaluate, assimilate, and manipulate...or just regurgitate?  Do we ask the dreaded "unGoogleable" question?  (Yes, I said it...some things are not on or from Google.  Is there a support group for this?)

Three things hit me last week:

  • I read a post by Michael Keany with some great examples of "essential" questions--questions that have more than one answer and no "perfect" answer.  I am particularly enamored of this one for every level of student--is it better to work together or alone?
  • Elena Aguilar gives AWESOME alternatives to the traditional book report.  Not only does she hit higher-order thinking but great collaborative efforts, persuasion and exposition, performance opportunities and technology standards.  Everything the common core is about.  Powerful.
  • My six year old came home with math assignments that ask for number facts and fact families.  I had to refresh my understanding.  For example, how many ways can we get to the number 20?





As encouragement, here are some easy ways to "unGoogle" your class activities:


  • Ask an essential question as part of your class' weekly journal or writing project.  "When is violence justified?" would be an awesome discussion (or even unit) starter.
  • Start an assignment with the statement..."(Here's the problem), how do we fix it?"
  • Give the answer first, then ask "How do we know this is true (or false)?"
  • Give the parts and ask "What can we make out of this?" (or numbers, or words, etc...)
  • Try something as simple as "Bucket Fillers."
How DO we fill someone's bucket today?





No comments:

Post a Comment