Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Life's Just a Game

More and more, I see seminars, webinars, and conferences focusing on "gaming" in the classroom.  I have already posted on this subject, but I am seeing a wealth of discussion within the last 6 months about the benefits of gaming in the classroom.  Education professionals have been including a huge variety of games in the discussion--educational, MMORPG (don't know what that is?), apps, flash games online...you name it.  


Can you name this game?


As much as I would love to play Candy Crush at school (addicted, thanks), I have been following these webinars to get to the heart of why gaming is becoming such a relevant and timely topic.   


Why the sudden explosion of gaming conversations?


The real heart of the matter lies in two trends:

First, I think as educators and as parents, we have finally begun to embrace technology as a means of enhancing education and teaching.  Tablets and smartphones have changed the way we communicate, find information and access everything from anywhere.  We aren't locked to a computer on a desk anymore.  We are "enlightened", "liberated" even.


We are far removed from the thought that a computer is for typing a paper or for use during free time.  We are far removed from technology being "clunky"--dialup, anyone?--or complex.  I still remember 6th grade computer programming and spending a quarter of the year making an image that looks Wreck-it Ralph.  Am I stamping "old" on myself?



As a parent of 4 boys, my emphasis is on getting my own kids, as well as my students, as much exposure and use of different devices as possible.  I want them using computers, tablets, Chromebooks to enhance their learning.  Why?

  • Experiential
  • Hands-on
  • Multimedia/multidimensional
  • Intrinsically motivating
  • Higher level thinking skills (just by using technology to solve problems)
  • Enhances problem-solving
  • Enhances decision-making and tool selection
  • Collaborative
  • Preparedness for the future

Sounds like game skills, right?  Wrapped up in this desire is the fact that my generation--meaning parents of school-age children--have had 30 years of exposure to technology.  Remember the Apple IIe?

Second, I think the increased emphasis on gaming comes from our move towards the Common Core.  I grabbed this snippet from an elementary standard in math:




The more I look at these practices, I see games...all sorts of games.  Particularly games that involve "leveling" or meeting more increasingly complex tasks as you increase in level.

RESOURCES

For those of you concerned, IXL Math is a game.  Into the Book online site is a game.

Other resources and ideas:

  • Minecraft is the new "addiction" for children.  Look at how it can be used for education.
  • A webinar for using World of Warcraft in the classroom endorsed by the DPI.
  • A collection of games and how they can be used.
  • Fantasy Football--fun game for math skills!
  • Try Strat-o-matic basketball or baseball to challenge students in math.  Incredible levels of higher level math involved in statistics-based games
  • Candy Crush (I am truly addicted).  Great test of mental strategy, pattern matching, planning for the future, goal attainment.  Any app (e.g. Angry Birds, for instance) can be used like this.
  • Simulation, turn-based games either online or on a device... Tank Battle 1944 and Civil War 1863 are two that I play regularly.  These are awesome for strategy, planning, knowing your resources, etc...

Let me know of interesting game ideas.  Would love to hear how you use games in your classroom.








No comments:

Post a Comment