Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"Create"-ivity

The more I become immersed in technology...as if I wasn't already...the more I am understanding the importance and depth of the ability to "create".  I am latching on to this magical word as my mantra when working with classes, teachers and my own children.

It's easy to consume and regurgitate...information, rote skills, memorized facts...but it is not necessarily easy to "create" from what we learn or know.  I am not an artist or painter like my dad is (and he's gifted), but I can create some pretty wonderful things with a computer, an iPad, my Razr Maxx phone and some simple software.  

During my CESA 6 coordinator's meeting yesterday, the "boss" shared this video by DeWitt Jones with us.




Powerful.  Powerful concepts for educators.  Powerful ideas for students.  Powerful motivation for everyone, involving simple skills and ideas:

Fall in love with the world
Bring out your passions
Use your creativity everday to make your life extraordinary


How can we be creative everyday?  How can we encourage our students to be creative everyday?

  • Use iPads or iPhones with iMovie and create a video log/documentary of the year
  • Blog...my "creative" outlet
  • Create digital photostories
  • Use ePortfolios in class instead of assignments
  • Use what you love, your passion in the classroom
  • Let your students design the day's agenda
  • Find time, even short periods, to encourage students to follow their interests

Sir Ken Robinson speaks to me in this video and I am curious what you have to say about it.







No comments:

Post a Comment