Monday, October 8, 2012

The F&P of Searching (Tip)

I generally take searching online for granted.

  • Keyword "strings"... the old-school Boolean
  • Google makes life pretty easy on spelling, Boolean operators (+,-), etc...
  • Results are fast and ranked reliably
The one consideration I overlook much of the time is reading level.  The question I need to ask myself when working with students on research or searching behavior is "can you read this?"  Are the results, as awesome as I think they might be, understandable to a second grader, fourth grader, even a high school student?

As an example, I search for "evaporation".  The first site listed as a result is the first one listed under almost every search...Wikipedia.





Just skimming the test, I can grasp the idea...my fourth grader (way above average reader, btw) is stifled.

There are certainly some good search engines for kids (listed below), but we can still use my favorite tool...Google...to modify the results with some extra clicks.

Using the advanced search tool, I can limit the results by reading level (basic, intermediate, advanced) and find sites that are much more suitable to the level of my students.  In the case of "evaporation", the first site listed using the "basic reading level" is Chem4Kids.





Amazing difference.


DIY Searching
  1. Enter your search term in Google
  2. On the results page, click on the "cog" on the right side of the screen.
  3. Select "Advanced Search".
  4. There are LOTS of options on the advanced search screen.  For reading level, scroll down to "Reading Level" and select what looks appropriate for your students.  Since this is not straight Fountas and Pinnell levels, you might have to experiment.

















Search Engines for Kids

  • KidRex is a Google search tool for kids.
  • YahooKids
  • KidsClick, by Kent State University School of Library and Information Science
  • Boolify is a fun, visual way to teach Boolean searching to kids.


A HUGE thanks to Marsha Primeau at Oakfield Elementary for this tip.












No comments:

Post a Comment