Monday, October 1, 2012

Googlize Your Newsletter (Tip of the Week)

Funny thing happened on the way to school this morning.  I received an email update from my children's school.

Since they haven't emailed me before, I thought the worst might have happened...school bus accident, fire...something that would involve me rushing to get my kids.




It was the school newsletter.  I read it on my phone.  Thank you!

Using Blogger and about 15 minutes to set up your very own blog, it is possible to create a whole new dynamic for your personal, classroom newsletter that can include pictures/slideshows, videos, attachments, notes and other thoughts.

Blogger is a Google product included with your school district (or personal) Google account.  You can find it along the black bar on top of your Google mail under "More" and then "Even More".

WWIB...Why Would I Blog?

  • Posting (adding an entry) takes only as long as it takes you to write the post.
  • It's an awesome and timely way to share assignments, send homework reminders, attach worksheets or forms, etc... Here's a sample.
  • You can Post multiple times, as events happen...you don't need to do a once a month blog, printed out and put in a students take-home folder.
  • Immediate connection with parents through email or RSS feeds (I get feeds sent to my iPad for reading)...MY FAVORITE
  • Think of the multimedia power of field trips, school events, etc...when you can add slideshows, actual videos and real-time results.
  • If you're adventurous, you can blog on-site.
  • Blogging gives you more control than other social media (i.e. Facebook)
  • Save trees
  • Professionally cathartic



Teacher Blogs








No comments:

Post a Comment